Monday, January 15, 2018

Un peignoir qui devient robe-doudou .........

Voici à quoi ressemblait mon peignoir avant (photo trouvée sur le net) :



Et voici le peignoir après transformation :



Et si vous voulez en savoir plus, c'est Ici

Merci à vous, et à très bientôt
Bisous , Elisa Elisa  

Friday, January 12, 2018

Feeling Blue (Dye)

Hello Refashion Co-op. I love to try and update older or dated clothes. I like to see if I can start with something I don't like and see if I can make something I do like.
 
 
I started today's project with these off-white items. The shirt was a men's dress shirt and the skirt was a long sweater knit. They were both the same dingy off- white color. The yucky color was a little depressing. The skirt also had a very dated style to it. I didn't really like that either.
I used some denim blue Rit dye in my washing machine and tried to improve the color. The skirt turned out darker than the shirt but I liked the new colors much better. Now that I had a better color scheme to work with I could try to alter them.

 
I decided that I liked the big shirt. I just rolled up the sleeves because they were too long.
I removed the elastic waistband from the long skirt. I cut a simple straight skirt from the material and reattached it to the waistband.
 I think the new color and style of this outfit is a big improvement over the original.
 
 
Thanks for reading, for more pictures and details go to I Can Work With That.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Stash Busting

I was given a bag of clothes by a friend - some I hung up ready to wear, others went on top the overflowing mess, known as the Refashioning Heap.
I like the shape and colour of this long-sleeved T, but didn't really want the words emblazoned across my chest.


Using a piece of fabric from my stash (a gorgeous knit from Cali Fabrics), I just cut a panel big enough to cover the writing, and pinnned it over. I unpicked the neckline and front band, so I could overlock, sandwiching the new piece into the seams, but the vertical sides were just zigzagged on.

Will use the same technique again whenever I thrift a shirt with a message that's not really me. 
Quick and easy!

The Bomb Cyclone Sweatshirt

Hello Refashion Co-op. We got a huge burst of cold weather called a "Bomb Cyclone". It was just the coldest and windiest weather we have had in a long time. I decided to make the most heavy sweatshirt to wear during these freezing days.
 
 
I started with this long black cape. It looks like a vampire cape to me. I have had it for a while. I wasn't sure what to do with it until I wanted to make this super sweatshirt.

 
I also had this gray sweatshirt. It was nice and heavy but it had no stretch to it. It wasn't very comfortable or cozy. I decided to use it for parts. I took the hood, the front pocket, and the waistband.

 
I sewed the cape closed and put the gray hood into the cape hood. It is attached around the face opening and around the neck. It isn't going to come out in the wind at all.

 
I used this navy blue sweatshirt as a lining for the body. I cut the bottom of the cape off and used it to make sleeves.

 
I put the gray pocket on the front. I really wanted it to look casual and I thought the gray accents would help. I also added gray cuffs on the sleeves.

 
This was very warm out in the wind and cold. I didn't stay out long because it was so painful when the wind hit me in the face and eyes. But the rest of me was nice and cozy warm.

 
Thanks for reading, for more pictures and details go to I Can Work With That.

Sunday, January 07, 2018

Off with their necks!

I finished off 2017 with a spree of removing the collars from things.

One was a cowl-neck sweater I got from a friend. I've never been a huge fan of cowl necks, and it turns out they're usually pretty easy to remove, since they're usually attached by a seam which makes a natural new neckline.

Sweater before

Sweater during

In the case of this sweater, I just cut the cowl off with about two inches to spare, and then turned what was left of it to the inside, notching it in a few places so it wouldn't bunch up.


Sweater after 


I was not very thorough in documenting the process of this project, but you can see a few photos of different neckline styles I tried and rejected, and how I styled the sweater for its debut appearance, over in my original blog post!

Around the same time as I did the sweater, I was also working on this blazer.

Blazer before


I accidentally ironed a permanent scar into the collar of this once-majestic blazer. 


After a couple years of sitting on it, I finally realized it might look all right if I just removed the collar and lapels. The collar came off easily with a seam ripper, and I cut the lapels into a V-shape I thought looked nice.


The trickiest part was taming the raw edges of the new neckline with bias tape. I am a bias-tape newbie; I'm almost certain I did it wrong; but I still ended up with something that works for me!

Blazer after


Although my craftsmanship might be a little iffy, I think the blazer overall has a much more flattering look with its new neckline! Visit my blog for a few close-up photos and a picture of my first outfit featuring the newly redesigned blazer!

Happy 2018!
--The Unfashionista